WHAT IT IS
The Maritime Economics Track (MET) is a maritime-focused cluster of courses within the Economics major, designed to give students a distinctive preparation for maritime-related roles in the industry and government organisations. The MET is offered by Singapore Management University (SMU) and seeks to develop essential knowledge and contextualised skills relevant for the analysis of economic issues in the maritime sector among its students.
MET students will also have access to industry scholarships and experiential learning opportunities, including industry study missions, site visits, local and overseas internships, and non-credit courses presented by industry professionals.
Maritime-related topics offered to students include the following:
- Maritime Economics and Ship Finance
- Port Economics and Management
- Economic Aspects of Maritime Law
- Shipping Business
- International Economics (Trade and Finance)
- Industrial Organisation
- Supply Chain Management
SMU students have the opportunity to apply for admission to the track twice a year.
- SMU students taking a first degree in the School of Economics
- All students from the other five Schools in SMU taking a second major in Economics - These students will take it as a second major in Economics with a track in Maritime Economics
Graduates can pursue a career in the following job roles:
- Commercial side of businesses in shipping companies, shipyards, rig builders, port operators and maritime logistics companies
- Government organisations such as MPA also have a need for economics majors with maritime knowledge for research and business roles
Students pursuing the Maritime Economics Track can apply for the MaritimeONE scholarships. Visit the MaritimeONE scholarship website for more information.
FIND OUT MORE
- Singapore Management University – Maritime Economics Track
- Singapore Management University – SMU to Train More Maritime Talents by Introducing Maritime Economics Concentration
- Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore – SMU and MPA partner to enhance the Maritime Economics Concentration at SMU
- Singapore Management University – SMU’s School of Economics Announces New Programme to Support Talent Development for Singapore's Maritime Industry