HIGHER NITEC IN ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING WITH SPECIALISATION IN MARINE ELECTRONICS
WHAT IT IS
This course provides students with the opportunity to acquire the concepts of integration, servicing and maintenance of marine automation, and communication and navigation systems essential in seafaring vessels.
Students will take the following specialisation modules:
1. Marine Automation System (130 hrs)
Upon completion of the module, students should be able to set up automated systems.
- Programmable Logic Controller
- Alarm Monitoring System
2. Marine Communication System (130 hrs)
Upon completion of the module, students should be able to set up marine communication systems in voice, data and radio media. In addition, students should be able to test and service radio and data systems.
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System
- Public Addressing System
- Intercom System
- Satellite Communications
3. Marine Navigation System (130 hrs)
Upon completion of the module, students should be able to set up a marine navigation system with integration of the essential modules.
- Radar System
- Electronic Chartplotter
- Global Positioning System
- Navigational Echo Sounder
- Automatic Identification System
4. Industry Attachment (800 hrs Type B Module)
Upon completion of the module, students should be able to integrate and apply a cluster of key technical, social and methodological competencies related to their field of study.
To apply for the Higher Nitec in Electronics Engineering course, you need to have GCE 'O' level grades in English Language, Mathematics and one approved subject.
|English Language||1 - 8|
|Mathematics (Elementary or Additional)||1 - 7|
|Biology / Biotechnology / Chemistry / Combined Science / Computer Studies /
Design & Technology / Engineering Science / Fundamentals of Electronics / Human & Social Biology /
Integrated Science / Physical Science / Physics / Science (Chemistry, Biology) / Science (Physics, Biology) /
Science (Physics, Chemistry) / Science (Physics, Biology, Chemistry)
|1 - 7|
GCE ‘N(A)’ level passes in English Language, Mathematics and 3 other subjects.
|English Language||1 - 4|
|Mathematics (Elementary or Additional)||1 - 4|
|Three other subjects||1 - 5|
- To be eligible for selection, you must have a total of 19 points or less for English, Mathematics and three other subjects(ELMAB3) in the GCE N(A) Level examinations.
- Eligible, graduating GCE N(A) students who applied and enrolled during the January intake under the Direct Entry Scheme will undergo 10 weeks of preparatory programme followed by 2 years of Higher Nitec training
Note: Applicants applying for this course must ensure that they do not suffer from colour appreciation deficiency.
Higher Nitec in Electronics Engineering (Marine Electronics) graduates are employed as technicians by marine companies and manufacturers that design, install, commission or sell marine automation, communication and navigation systems.
- 3Waves Energy Pte Ltd
- Aquila Nova Pte Ltd
- AMI Maritime Pte Ltd
- Codar (Pte) Ltd
- Furuno Singapore Pte Ltd
- Jason Electronics (Pte) Ltd
- Keppel FELS Ltd
- Master Systems Marine Pte Ltd
- Nabtesco Marine Service Singapore Pte Ltd
- Pamarine Private Limited
- Raytheon Anschuetz Singapore Pte Ltd
- Sembcorp Marine Ltd
- Seven Seas Marine Sg Pte Ltd
- Treys Pte Ltd
Higher Nitec in Electronics Engineering graduates with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 and above may apply for progression to the first year of a related diploma course at the Polytechnics. For more details on diploma courses for progression, please refer to the Joint Polytechnic Admissions website.
Higher Nitec in Electronics Engineering graduates with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 and above together with 1.5 years of work experience may apply for progression to a related Technical Diploma course at ITE.