Specialist Accreditation Scheme in Maritime and Shipping Law
WHAT IT IS
The Singapore Academy of Law's Specialist Accreditation Scheme (the "Scheme") confers recognition of a legal practitioner's expertise and experience in a specialised area of law. It is an assessment process which requires a legal practitioner to show evidence of his or her knowledge and expertise in their chosen area of specialisation. Specialist accreditation is a voluntary and an individual endeavour.
The Scheme's purpose is to:
- recognise the high level of proficiency of legal practitioners in their chosen practice area and promote continued personal professional development and improvement
- incentivise younger legal practitioners to hone their skills and knowledge
- provide the legal industry and general public with a reliable means of identifying and accessing legal practitioners who have proven themselves as possessing the requisite skills and knowledge in a practice area
- promote continued development and improvement of standards, quality and delivery of legal services
The Scheme aims to build an exhaustive directory of Accredited Specialists and Senior Accredited Specialists for the benefit of users of legal services.
To gain a better understanding of the Scheme’s framework, the Specialist Accreditation Scheme paper can be downloaded here.
The paper pertaining to the Maritime and Shipping Law specialist accreditation framework may be found here.
Legal practitioners interested in being accredited may apply to be:
- An Accredited Specialist (for legal practitioners with more than 5 year's PQE) OR
- A Senior Accredited Specialist (for legal practitioners with more than 10 year's PQE)
WHEN TO APPLY
For the 2019 specialist accreditation programme, for those seeking to be an Accredited Specialist, applications open on 8 January 2018 and close on 1 April 2019 as 31 March 2019 falls over a weekend.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for specialist accreditation, download and complete the following forms:
- Application Form to be completed by the applicants
- Reference Statement to be completed by the referees
Payment of all fees may be made via SAL-e or through your firm's Online Purchase Coordinator (OPC).
All applications should include the following documents:
- completed application form
- two completed Reference Statement forms
- documentation supporting applications for exemptions
- payment confirmation email
Submit your application by email to email@example.com.
S Mohan Managing Director at Resource Law LLC
Mr S Mohan, Managing Director of Resource Law LLC, is a Senior Accredited Specialist in Maritime and Shipping Law.
Watch his interview as he shares his thoughts on being accredited by the Specialist Accreditation Scheme and how it can benefit fellow practitioners here.
FIND OUT MORE
The Singapore Academy of Law (SAL) is a promotion and development agency for Singapore’s legal industry. Our vision is to make Singapore the legal hub of Asia.
SAL works with our stakeholders to set new precedents of excellence in Singapore law through developing thought leadership, world class infrastructure and legal solutions. Our mandates are to build up the intellectual capital of the legal profession by enhancing legal knowledge, raise the international profile of Singapore law, promote Singapore as a centre for dispute resolution, and improve the standards and efficiency of legal practice through continuing professional development and the use of technology.
Find out more on their website.