WSP FOR SEAFARING DECK OFFICER
WHAT IT IS
The SkillsFuture Work Study Programme (WSP) is a work-study programme designed to give fresh graduates from polytechnics and the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) a head start in careers related to their discipline of study.
Selected applicants will be matched with a job related to their discipline of study and undergo a 12- to 18-month structured training programme. They can look forward to the following:
- Facilitated learning, on-job-training (OJT) and work-based projects
- Assigned mentors at the company to guide and provide support
- Enjoy a well-structured career progression pathway, in line with the company’s talent development plan
- Receive an industry-recognised certification and potential wage progression or career advancement based on performance
- Singaporeans will receive a $5,000 sign-on incentive
- Employers can receive a grant of up to $15,000 per individual placed in the SkillsFuture WSP to defray the costs of developing and providing structured on-job-training
Seafaring Deck Officer
- Join a participating shipping company in the maritime seafaring sector as a Junior Deck Officer after CoC Class 3 Deck Officer certification
- Programme up to 18 months of duration, inclusive of 12 months of structured OJT and mentorship onboard seafaring vessels, with scheduled shore leave in between
- Attain a Letter of Eligibility from the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) upon completion of the programme - With the Letter of Eligibility, participants are qualified to enter the Combined Class 1 & 2 (Deck Officer) Course for further career advancement
WHO CAN APPLY
This WSP is for Singaporeans and Singapore Permanent Residents who are fresh Singapore Polytechnic (SP) graduates from Diploma in Nautical Studies with CoC Class 3 certification and fresh Wavelink Maritime Institute (WMI) graduates from Tripartite Nautical Training Award (TNTA) with CoC Class 3 certification. Recent holders of CoC Class 3 certification who are not graduates from SP or WMI may also apply under direct entry.
Only Singaporeans who are within three years of: Graduation, Receiving CoC Class 3 or Operational Ready Date for National Servicemen (whichever is later) will receive the sign-on incentive.
The WSP is also for relevant companies, societies and non-profit organisations that are registered or incorporated in Singapore.
WHEN TO APPLY
Applications are open throughout the year.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants may submit the WSP interest form together their resume with the course name as the subject header to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that all resumes will be forwarded to all participating companies for their selection.
Selection of applicants is at the discretion of the participating companies and participating companies will contact their shortlisted applicants for interview.
Only applicants who are hired by the participating companies will be invited to submit an online application for the Work Study Programme.
For enquiries on course specific details, please contact the course manager:
Name: Capt S S Virdi
FIND OUT MORE
Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore – Factsheet on SkillsFuture Earn and Learn Programme for Maritime
SkillsFuture – About SkillsFuture
SkillsFuture - Skills Framework for Sea Transport
Straits Times – Skillsfuture Support, Job Portal, Cash Incentives to Attract More Than 1,200 to Maritime Sector
Straits Times – Three New Earn and Learn Programmes Launched For The Maritime Sector