WHAT IT IS
The job scope of a technical superintendent includes the following:
- Inspecting and maintaining of a vessel’s condition to ensure seaworthiness
- Ensuring the ship’s staff comply with management policies and safety from a mechanical and technical aspect
- Researching and implementing new procedures to improve daily operations
- Liaising with Chief Engineers and Master Mariners to ensure the smooth running of vessels
Technical superintendents earn a monthly salary of about $6,500 to $12,200 per month. Salary variation depends on the size of fleet managed and the type of vessels managed.
*Source: Data from industry surveys conducted by Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA). The data reflects the indicative monthly basic pay and excludes fixed bonuses, variable bonuses, overtime pay and allowances. Actual salaries may differ due to market conditions and company/organisation policies.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
- Degree in Marine Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
- Certificate of Competency (CoC) (Marine Engineer Officer) Class 1
- Good communication and people management skills
- Excellent leadership skills
Wang Xin Jun Technical Superintendent at CMA CGM International Shipping Company
Mr Wang Xin Jun combines experience and technology to chart new directions as a Technical Superintendent at CMA CGM International Shipping Company.
"To be successful in this role, you need an extensive expertise of the overall ship systems, as well as the shipping industry's regulatory standards and compliance requirements," shares Xin Jun.
Read more about his maritime journey here.
FIND OUT MORE
Singapore Maritime Academy - CoC Class 1 Marine Engineer Officer [Orals]
Singapore Maritime Academy - CoC Class 1/2 Marine Officer Part B
Ship Management Companies - Singapore Maritime Services Guide
Ship Owners and Operators - Singapore Maritime Services Guide
SkillsFuture - Skills Framework for Sea Transport