WHAT IT IS
Stevedores work in ports, loading and unloading cargo from ships. They usually work in teams, as well as in tandem with port equipment specialists who operate large port machinery. Some other duties that stevedores take on include:
- Inspecting the merchandise for any damage that might have occurred at sea or pre-loading
- Ensuring proper stowage and lashing of all cargo
- Berthing and unberthing vessels
- Carrying out wharf operations such as coning and deconing
- Assisting in water bunkering operations
Entry level stevedores earn a monthly salary upwards of $1,500 per month. Some can progress to take on supervisory roles, such as being a Foreman.
*Salary data based on industry surveys conducted by Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) for reference only. Actual salaries may differ due to market conditions and company/organisation policies.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
- Able to work at heights
- Willing to work in the outdoors and on rotating shifts
- Perfect colour vision